- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour
- 8 skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 3 c. chopped onion
- 2 c. chopped red bell pepper
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 dry red wine
- 1/2 tomato puree
- 2 tbsp. capers
- 1 1/2 tsp. crushed red pepper
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. black pepper
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can unsalted, petite diced tomatoes. undrained
- chopped parsley (for a garnish)
1. Place the flour in a shallow dish and dredge the chicken in it; shake to remove excess flour.
2. Heat a large skillet over med-high heat; add oil. Add chicken and cook until browned (about 4 min.). Once done, place chicken in your crock pot.
3. Reduce the heat to medium and add onion, bell pepper, and garlic. Saute for about 4 min. Add wine and bring to a boil. Simmer for 2 min.
4. Add the bell pepper mixture, tomato puree, and next 6 ingredients (through diced tomatoes) to the crock pot. Make sure you mix everything and cover all the chicken.
5. Cover and cook on LOW heat for 4 hours or until chicken is tender. Once done, serve over a grain of your choice (you’ll REALLY want to soak up all the extra sauce) and top with the parsley.
This is a dish worth trying whether you eat the chicken as is or on top of a grain such as polenta or pasta. The crushed red pepper gives the dish that spicy kick and after cooking in the incredible sauce, the chicken becomes deliciously tender. Test this out and let me know what you think! But until next time, keep eating!