- 5 c. water
- 1 1/2 c. uncooked farro
- 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- 3/4 lb. (about two cups) sweet cherries, pitted and halved (A great excuse to visit a local farmer’s market!)
- 2/3 c. celery, diced
- 1/2 c. coarsely chopped walnuts, toasted
- 1/4 c. packed fresh parsley
- 2 tbsp. lemon juice
- 1 tbsp. whole-grain Dijon mustard
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1/4 tsp. ground black pepper
- 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
Bring those 5 cups of water to a boil, adding the farro and 1/4 tsp. salt and cook for about 15 minutes. Once done, drain and cool at room temperature. Next you’ll want to combine the farro, cherries, celery, walnuts, and parsley in a large bowl. Then, combine the lemon juice, mustard, honey, pepper, and remaining 1/4 tsp. salt and stir with a whisk. Gradually add the oil and continue to whisk till all dressing ingredients are mixed. Lastly, pour that bowl of goodness over the farro and cherry mixture and enjoy!
I loved this salad so much I took a huge container of it back on the train with me! It’s a delicious summer dish that easy to make in bulk (can someone say party side dish??) and it pairs fantastically with grilled balsamic chicken or a tender juicy skirt steak. I’m telling you, nothing beats a summer dish with a helping of fruit. You have to test this out, it won’t let you down. But until next time, keep eating!